Sunday, August 12, 2007

True Confession

1 John 1:6 - 2:1 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. NIV 1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-- Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

We were talking about confession in prayer group recently and at the time I think I was in the category of the above underlined, the deceived one. The deceived one who still thought he was holding it together. It appears from this passage that this thinking will create the dark places where the enemy can deceive and fellowship is broken. It's amazing that in the thought process that you think by doing something yourself that you are free and the exact opposite thing is true. The reality is that I am desperate and need grace and light. I do what is indefensible in my eyes, sin against a God who gave his only son for me. Who will defend this one? , the accuser says. Praise God for 2:1 because it is "Jesus Christ, the Righteous One."

I don't know exactly what Jesus says on my behalf but if he just said "my blood" then it would be wholly sufficient for justice that cost him, righteousness that he gives to me and purity that he gives with joy and love to his dear children.

So what does it look like for us to live in the confidence that I can't make myself good enough? (I'm working through that). Jesus has done what I could not do and gives his work to me. So TRUE CONFESSION for me becomes much more desperate because I know I can't make things right. Confession can be more bold because he is my defender so it will be hard but so free because Christ has put the pressure on himself and his work, not mine. In that place we are purified and fellowship with our brothers and sisters goes to it's deepest levels as we walk in the light together seeing that we are a band of thieves and traitors that have one God.

May your Lords day be rich with mercy and truth



No comments: