Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Beat the hell out of it!"

When you call a qualified professional to get advice about a subject that you cannot figure out on your own, you expect a certain "professionalism" to the response. When my tire was flat in my drive way two weeks ago I changed to the spare and plugged the hole with my plug kit (don't you all have a tire plug kit?, I used to carry everything from plugs to an air compressor and serviced my own vehicles when they broke down on the rode). So when I went to take the spare off last week it would not come off. I was pulling with all my might and nothin. When I am in this spot I call my brother, the professional diesel mechanic, to give me his best advice. He is always helpful.
Here we are, he is on the left, checking out a dozer. Yes, I got to drive this by myself. Awesome. So what Eric said next to my question was " have you tried kicking it?" Me- "No" Eric- "Well, just put your back up against something and starting kicking the hell out of it." Great advice from the mechanic. I tried this and nothing. No special tool or procedure, just kicking.

Fast forward to Thursday and it is 6 freaking degrees. I am on my way to work and I am about to turn left onto an intersection and as I turn I see a Ford Expedition speeding towards me, blocked by a row of cars, and so I swerve wildly out of the way and hit the concrete curb in the highway. I knew when I hit it what would happen next. The spare, stuck tire was going flat rapidly and I came to stop a mile down the road smoking and flat.

The tire looked similar to exhibit A. to your right.
I tried again with no success to get this tire off to put my perfectly good tire on that I had ready to go. I had to call a tow truck driver and when he showed up he was surprised that I didn't have a spare. I told him that was not my problem and that it was stuck. He asked if he could try. I winced as he pried on things that don't need to have bars rammed into them. He then started round 2 with two new tools that expanded what my brother had said and gave his words power.

What you need to get a stuck tire off is a hammer, a 4x4 and you need to "Beat the hell out of it(comma) like you don't own it." My dear tow truck drive starting wailing on my rim with a hammer and after some winsing on my part it moved a 1/4 of an inch.

With new courage I got under the truck with a 4x4 to participate and protect my truck from him and I starting beating the hell out of that rim like I didn't own it and with in 30 seconds POP. Yes! The family motto "We fix problems."

Within one hour of the incident I was back on the road and the driver took off with a sweet grin on his face of accomplishment.

I guess my brother was right, it just took someone else to show me what he meant.

4 comments:

Tirzah said...

Would it make me cooler in your eyes and stranger in others to tell you I have driven a dozer? leveling is not easy.

Colin said...

Kev,
Just wanted you to know that I check your blog all the time (1 of only 3 I read). Quality stuff, my friend. Keep up the good work.

Trevor Harden said...

"Beat the hell out of it(comma) like you don't own it."

Hahahaha... too funny. Love the choice to write out the word 'comma.' Totally enhanced the quotation.

Courtney Patch said...

LOVE the bibs. I want a pair.