Wednesday, January 2, 2008

And your word of the year is...

Dorcile. Who knew? Apparently of all the new words that could be created for 2007, this was our clear cut winner. I heard this on NPR because I'm a refined urban yuppie poser with my L.L. Bean slippers but still having a pickup truck. This is the gist of what Dorcile means.

Dorcile- (pron. Door-syle) means to move swiftly showing animal like quickness, apparently a reference to any fish but i like to think of dolphins and their cute little dorsal fins.

I blame/attribute this new word to the proliferation of the movie Finding Nemo and more importantly for people like myself not using the word docile correctly. Apparently, as I get corrected by English majors in the room, I never use this word correctly. Docile is someone who is teachable, pliable, instructable and can be derogatory like a whooped husband. Docile sounds like something should be moving quickly, like a docile animal. I am glad to know that the people who cook up words keep up with people like me who think a docile animal moves quickly and can invent words to keep pace with my assault on the English language.

I can now say that the animal is really dorcile or better yet that I am really dorcile (because my slamming calves give me that ability.)

Thanks NPR for giving me such good content in the most boring way possible.

3 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

Vous ne parlez pas le francais? :)

cagedwisdom said...

speak American on this blog, Si?

John Hendrix said...

I heard (on NPR as well- suspicious?) that the word of the year was "Woot"- a celebratory phrase often used in online gaming.