Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Oh the humanity"


In an effort to keep my humor in the midst of loosing my sanity this week I had to put this footnote in a paper I have been trying to destroy.

Some background: My week is full of papers, preaching, papers, preaching etc.. and I found a window to translate the verses I needed to for a Proverbs paper 48 hours before it was due. Did Proverbs 31:10-31. I went yesterday morning to print something and had to inform my fellow classmate, after I saw his computer screen, that he was translating the wrong verses. My fellow classmate then informed me that I was the one doing the wrong verses, 1-9. I sort of went numb, panicked, teared up, freaked out, cried and then went numb again in about 5.7 seconds. I had to preach in 3.5 hours, had another huge project in 24 hours and then preach again.
So after getting extensions from everybody but Beyonce and so much help from classmates steering me the write direction for this paper, it is done. I felt like I was that guy who was building the Hindenburg with a lit cigarette in his mouth. "Hey, you guy, you want to put that out. Nah, its bien be all cool,Dah" From the Hindenburg to the Mercedes the Germans have come a long way. So I didn't build the Hindenburg of papers but I came pretty dam close.

So that all said I buried this in footnote 32 of my paper:

[32]
Roland Murphy 240- says that this instruction was about how to deal with harems or concubines. Waltke 507 makes a similar argument. You can see biblically examples of harems in I K. 11, Esth. 2 or sex outside marriage 2 Sam. 11. Giving your strength to such things distracts you from kingly duties. I’m so glad I don’t have to juggle the complexities of King/concubine relationships.

No comments: