Saturday, September 1, 2007

40/40 Benchmarks

Since the first week of February I have had the initial goal of loosing 30 lbs by 30. It's been fun working out and seeing progress and after my weigh in this morning ,7 months to the day I started, I broke the 40 lb mark and past to 42. It's been a ton of fun

The second 40 mark happened in New York City. In July I went to see my friends the Crosby's and teach VBS and had a blast. My friend Scott let me borrow his bike and ride in Central Park. His bike, unlike my mountain bike, is made for speed and some one in a Spandex Uni-tard. I didn't have the spandex which was fortunate for all trying to enjoy the scenery in Central Park but I did get to ride. This bike is fast and on the North Side of the park the road goes down some winding hills and I thought "Hey let's see how fast we can go" I hit 40 on the speedometer and was scared the whole time. I had to stop going down a turn because I could see my self sliding across the asphalt. The hard part about that was that when you go down hill there is another hill going the other direction on the other side. I was riding and turned the corner and looked up and said out loud "Oh Lord." 2 attempts with a 5 minute break in between and I made it up the hill and was passed by the Spandex Uni-tard guys the whole time.

So the moral of the story is set some goals for yourself and begin the journey. The advice I got was to make them realistic, time specific and measurable. It's been very helpful advice so swing for the fences.

3 comments:

Tirzah said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christine Gordon said...

Awesome! Congrats - that's really hard work, and you've obviously been discipline about it. Great job!