Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Science of the Sandwich


Come with me into the kitchen where I make myself happy. Putting together a rocking sandwich basically takes two things. Boldness, because cooking in fear is not what we were made for and the gospel is true even in the kitchen and second is good basic ingredients.

I have been rocking some fun sandwiches lately and it's not just enough to build them, you have got to heat those babies up. I'm getting crazy here and I fired up two skillets because one was already dirty. This is a grilled sandwich with Turkey and White cheddar.
Start with two day old Bread Company bread. I have access to lots of old bread, so giant loaves of bread I can slice is great. You need like half a square foot to work with on these things. You need to get that Turkey grilled and hot first. It will not have time to heat in this monster sandwich. In the skillet on the right is a piece of bread with olive oil, I like this better than spreading butter, and three pieces of sharp white cheddar, thin sliced red onion and oregano. This is a winning combination as I have found that especially Vermont white cheddar and oregano make a great pair.

You can see what I am working with here on my crazy fun cutting board. Now what you see in the very front of you is not an optical illusion. That is sour cream. This is what I mean about not cooking out of fear because the gospel is true in the kitchen. I use it like mayonnaise on one side of the sandwich. That melted into the cheese adds this great creaminess that you just can't resist.

Now according to my food research lab (basically how I feel after I eat this thing) it comes in at under 648 calories not including sides. You do have to keep the heat low and since I'm using gas I keep an eye on everything. You have to treat this sandwich with love and respect like you are making a risotto or nursing a Puma cub back to health. All three endeavors take love, boldness and attention.

This was paired with a side of salsa verde and chips. So be brave my friends and start slicing, heating, cutting and melting your way into your own heart and fill your stomach and taste buds with the things you would so love.

This would be a staple in any restaurant I ever started.

No comments: