Sunday, July 6, 2008

Learning from the best

I love reading Eugene Peterson. He has a ton of wise experience as a pastor and a great way of expressing it. I am only working about 10 hours at the church and I already don't know how people could do this 50 hours a week. It's pretty extraordinary to think about and there is a great deal of pain and glory all together. I preached this Sunday and it' s a really tender place to be after the sermon and I can't imagine doing that week in and week out. Much to be learned on this front. All that aside I found great encouragement and a laugh in this Peterson quote:
"Sometimes I feel like a back-woods fundamentalist or somebody carrying a sign around Times Square that says REPENT. But I've been a pastor for thirty-five years, and I don't trust people one inch in defining what they need. We don't know ourselves. We need God to tell us what we need."

No comments: